Documenting a Day with Technology - Post #3

Technology touches nearly every part of my day, and this assignment gave me the chance to see how many tools I rely on to stay organized, meet deadlines, and reflect on my progress. I worked with four types of applications: word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software, and databases. Each one played a different role in documenting my activities.


The word processor was the most natural fit for me. Writing a journal entry gave me space to reflect on schoolwork, internships, client projects, and leisure time with enough detail to capture both tasks and emotions. Formatting options such as bulleted lists and paragraph spacing let me balance structure with personal expression. The word processor made it easy to tell the story of my day.


Spreadsheets added a different perspective by turning activities into numbers. I used Excel to calculate percentages of how much time I spent on academics, job applications, personal time, and entertainment. Seeing my day broken down into data and charts helped me notice patterns, such as how much time I dedicate to career goals compared to leisure. The drawback is that spreadsheets show numbers well but do not capture the context or feelings behind them.


Presentation software provided a visual way to share my day. With slides, images, and design elements, I was able to highlight the most important parts without overwhelming details. The tool worked well for showing progress at a glance, though I noticed it can oversimplify when too much is condensed into slides. Still, its strength lies in its ability to engage an audience with a clear summary.


Databases gave me a sense of how structured data can be organized and retrieved efficiently. Although I used them in a limited way for this assignment, I learned how powerful they can be in storing and managing information like client records or research data. The tradeoff is that databases require more technical skill to set up and are not always practical for small, personal tasks.


After working with all four applications, I found that each had unique strengths and limitations. Word processors are best for personal reflection and storytelling. Spreadsheets are strongest when analyzing and visualizing numbers. Presentations work well when it is time to share information with others. Databases are most effective for managing large, structured sets of data. Together, these applications form a toolkit that supports both professional and personal needs, reminding me that the right tool depends on the task at hand.

0 comments